A Division of OCIA International, Inc.
Organic Crop Improvement Association
Box 3429, 637 6th St, Humboldt, SK S0K 2A0 Canada
Phone: (306) 682-3126 * Fax: (306) 682-3127
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Web Site:
Facts about Organic Agriculture
What is Organic Agriculture?
Instead of relying on harsh chemicals and damaging soil practices, organic agriculture draws from the best of traditional farming practices and modern scientific studies.
- Soil is enriched with compost, green manure and organic amendments.
- Weeds, pests and disease are controlled through crop rotation, carefully timed mechanical and manual intervention, beneficial insects and the selective use of natural, non-chemical pesticides.
- Livestock are provided quality living environments and are raised without hormones, or antibiotics.
Through environmentally sound practices, organic producers and processors strive to sustain the health of the earth while providing quality food for those who inhabit it.
Why Choose Organic?
More and more consumers want certified organic foods because they know that these foods are:
- Grown without genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- Grown and processed without the use of synthetic chemicals, fertilizers, antibiotics, or hormones.
Why Choose OCIA-Certified Organic?
As one of the world’s leading organic certification agencies, OCIA International requires that its producers and processors strictly adhere to organic standards. These standards ensure that:
- No chemicals or non-natural fertilizers have been applied to fields, pastures, orchards, or vineyards for three years prior to harvest.
- Operations have been annually inspected by an independent inspector and are subject to unannounced verification inspections at any time.
- Detailed records of each operation’s practices and processes have been kept and submitted to OCIA International for an annual certification review.
- OCIA International is independently accredited to a number of industries and government bodies in the United States and internationally.